Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

Lol - the best laid plans. I was so excited to start on the kumihimo pattern, that I forgot i had only eight spools and needed twelve. So I thought I'd use my my plastic disc bobbins instead as they are often used with the Kumihimo disks. Well, I have the marudai, and I found out in no uncertain terms that they do not work with it. The tension on the threads was so off that you could hardly see the pattern. So that was Friday. I thought and thought about it and I could order the spools, but I sure didn't want to have to wait for them to come in the mail. It occurred to my that I could make my own. So after finishing working on the floor in the room we are working on now, I went first to the local craft store, but they didn't have any wooden spools the right size. Next my husband and I drove the 35 or so miles to the nearest chain craft store. And I was able to purchase their last package of large spools, and get wooden endcaps to fit. That night I got out my handy-dandy calculator and figured out how much I needed each spool to weigh in order to match the ones I already had. The next day I got some fishing sinkers of varying sizes. I glued an endcap onto each spool and filled it with the correct weights, then glued the endcap on the other end. And voila, Monday I was finally able to get started. See...

No comments:

Post a Comment